Monday, September 28, 2026

CHALLENGES TO BALANCE & MOBILITY: IMPACT OF PERIPHERAL ARTERY DISEASE & PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY SYMPTOMS

DEMONSTRATING

  STRENGTH, BALANCE, FLEXIBILITY


***
**

MAINTAINING LIFESTYLE PRIORITIES

Updates about my yoga and walking mobility as well as current nutrition status since posting "ON TURNING 75: ... " on March 28th are presented.

***

I

ACKNOWLEDGE

ENCOURAGING 

HEALTH & METABOLIC DATA

 Decisions made daily emphasizing whole body mobility (walking, yoga) and nutrition (= eating real, whole foods) have led to several positive health outcomes.

I 

 ALSO

 COMMENT

ON 

RECENT

 CIRCULATION & NEUROLOGICAL

SYMPTOMS

***

*

[1]

WALKING

EXCEEDING

2,000 CONSECUTIVE DAYS

[OVER FIVE YEARS]

Daily walks during the past six months have continued in all weather conditions, from below freezing into the high 70's.

NOTABLE

My 2,00th walk will occur during this week.


Walks since celebrating my mobility status at 75 have begun at 3:00 am, alternating longer (90 minutes) and shorter (80 minutes) routes.

___

DURING WINTER MONTHS

NOTICING 

ALARMING

SYMPTOMS

Extreme cold morning temperatures - single digits, below O degrees F with and without wind chill - resulted in a painful cold left big toe with associated skin discoloration during January and into February and March.

*

 APPROVAL

OF

 NON-INVASIVE DOPPLER IMAGING

My Geriatric Specialist Dr. Jarrod Faucher approved an assessment of bilateral blood flow circulation of brachial, upper and lower legs, feet and big toes.


Values included in the report measured ABI and TBI.

*

CONSULTING WITH PODIATRIST

DR. BENJAMIN SAVIET

 CONFIRMED 

THE 

DOPPLER IMAGING DIAGNOSIS 

*

I

HAD

PERIPHERAL ARTERY DISEASE

My blood flow through lower legs was quantified and found to  restricted in both feet and toes.

Extreme cold temperatures constricted my left big toe capillary blood flow changing the skin color.


NOT SURPRISING

A reduction of extremity blood flow was not unexpected since being diagnosed  in mid-2021 with Coronary Artery Disease  (Atherosclerosis) based on a non-invasive imaging and calcium  score.

NOTE

Keeping my feet dry, to change socks as needed to prevent moisture accumulation from sweating feet was recommended.


DISTANT EARLY SYMPTOMS 

Cold hands and feet throughout the year, loss of body hair,  notably on legs that are attributed to decreased circulation were noted years ago but the significance was not appreciated. 

***

DR. SAVIET 

ALSO

CONFIRMED

ANOTHER

 SYMPTOM 

AS

PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY

Tingling in my feet for the first time around my 75th birthday was an another issue we discussed during our meeting.

___

The sensations were not painful, not constant and, to date, not interfering with sleep but I noticed more concentration was required doing single leg balance yoga asanas like the 'BIRD OF PARADISE" ASANA shown above.


Dr. Saviet noted reduced blood circulation would result in less available blood, oxygen and nutrients to nerve cells - resulting in a sensation of pins and needles.


TAKEAWAYS

Maintaining my yoga balance remains a priority.

*

ACTIONS TAKEN

I

HAVE 

REPLACED MY WALKING SHOES

TOPO PHANTOM 4 

PROVIDING MORE CUSHION & SUPPORT

AND

PURCHASED

 MORENO WOOL, SYNTHETIC SOCKS

TO

WICK AWAY MOISTURE, KEEP FEET DRY


NOTE

FEET WARMERS ALSO WILL BE USED WHEN TEMPERATURES IN  THE 20's AND BELOW OCCUR


ALSO

SPECIFIC FOOT, LOWER LEG MOVEMENTS

 WIL

BE

 ADDED 

TO MY DAILY YOGA SEQUENCES

*

SPRING TO SUMMER MONTHS

My mast cells (one type of our white blood cells) were reactive to allergens during the Spring.

This led to an excessive release of histamines and nasal flow (running nose of fluids, mucous) and persistent coughing.

__

Dr. Faucher recommended use of Zyrtec to counter the allergens - likely from pollen(s).

NOTE

This was the first time since my reconstructive thoracic surgery in June, 2001 such relief was required.

***

*

[2]

YOGA

Daily morning and evening sessions in my condo yoga studio continued during the past six months - bringing me closer to completing a ninth year on December 31st.

[I began doing two daily yoga sessions in January, 2018]

NOTE

I also accepted an invitation and enjoyed a yoga session led by Ray Hoyt with two others in his studio during August.

 Several partner poses demonstrated relatively good whole body mobility including the challenging GUILLOTINE ASANA.

*

 AN ONGOING FOCUS 

TO 

ADDRESS

 SARCOPENIA

[1] 

I

CONTINUED 

DOING

 DAILY MORNING

 PUSH-UPS 

&

[2[

I

ADDED

DEEP SQUATS 

 25 consecutive squats before morning and evening yoga sessions with and without using an 8 pound dumbbell have been done to increase pelvic girdle strength.

*

[3]

I

BEGAN

EATING MORE PROTEIN EACH DAY

I have added more protein from different sources during my main morning meals at the Rose Room Cafe.

Likewise, more protein has been consumed during smaller afternoon meals and has included edamame spaghetti and tuna. 

 

*

ALSO

RAY HOYT'S

MONTHLY MASSAGE

 HAS HELPED TO MAINTAIN

 WHOLE BODY

MOBILITY

**

*

[3]

NUTRITION

AT

THE

ROSE ROOM CAFE


JESS SABINE'S business in WEBSTER, MA  is where I have enjoyed my morning meals during the past six months.

My yoga blogs on Nutrition (December 30, 2025) and Mobility, Aging (March 28, 2026) explain why I eat what I do.

THE

DIVERSE

MENU SELECTIONS

I 

HAVE 

ENJOYED

WERE

LOCALLY SOURCED


AND

FRESHLY PREPARED 
BY
A
 FRIENDLY,
 SKILLED
 & 
DEDICATED 
STAFF


MY SUNDAY MORNING MEAL

CAPRESE ON FOCACCIA
(TOMATO, MOZZARELLA & GREENS)
WITH
A
YOLKY EGG
& 
MY ADDITIONS


NOTE

I have maintained records of every meal consumed at this location for over three years.

___

MY RECENT TWENTY MENU SELECTIONS CONSUMED 

FROM 

August 20 - September 8, 2026 

ARE

 DOCUMENTED

BELOW

 [not to be read but simply acknowledged]


*

During the past six months I have eaten mostly plant and dairy products, some seafood, no meat.

I drink water, teas without caffeine but no sweet drinks, no  alcohol.


NEW SPECIALS ENJOYED DURING THESE 20 DAYS

INCLUDE

1
PEACH, ONION, GOAT CHEESE SALAD

2
PEACH BRUSHETTI SALAD

3
SALMON, KALE, ONION & COUSCOUS WRAP

4
PEACH, CHEDDAR, ONION & ARUGULA WRAP

5
APPLE BUTTER, OVERNIGHT OATS, APPLE SLICES, CINNAMON, WALNUTS

6
ROASTED CABBAGE, TWO YOLKY EGGS & FETA

**
*

LIGHT AFTERNOON MEALS AT CONDO

These usually have included various combinations of veggies, dairy, nuts, grains, pasta and seafood.   


16 BEAN MIX


NOTE

1- WHAT I EAT DURING EACH DAY IS FOCUSED ON LOWERING THE OCCURRENCE OF SUGAR SPIKES.

2- MY DAILY EATING IS RESTRICTED TO A 6-8 HOUR PERIOD

***
*

[4]

CURRENT HEALTH STATUS

FAIR TO GOOD WITH CAVEATS

MAINTAINING ADOLESCENT WEIGHT

( 117.6 POUNDS )

_

On September 14th I met with my PCP, Geriatric Specialist Dr. Jarrod Faucher.

Dr. Faucher provided the opportunity to talk about ongoing and new health issues noted above including the data obtained from the blood and urine assays on August 20th - representing a 12 month period (19 August 2025 - 19 August 2026

*

ISSUES DISCUSSED

INCLUDED

[1]

LIPID PANEL DATA

& 

LIPOPROTEIN a [ LP(a) ]

 It appears my daily nutrition approaches during this 12 month period have been effective to maintain lipid panel values that reduce cardiovascular risks factors.

___

MY 

CURRENT

 LIPID PANEL & LP(a) VALUES

REFLECTING

AUGUST 19, 2025 - AUGUST 19, 2026

ARE

PRESENTED BELOW WITH RECOMMENDED RANGES IN (   ).

*
*

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL . 148 . (< 200mg/dL)

             LDL CHOLESTEROL ..  57 .. (< 70 mg)                   

HDL CHOLESTEROL .. 77 .. (> 40 mg/dL)

TRIGLYCERIDES .. 61 .. (<150 mg/dL)

APOLIPOPROTEIN B .. 64 .. (< 90 mg/dL)

&

NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL

71 ... (< 130 mg/dL)


CHOLESTEROL/ HDL CHOLESTEROL

  1.9 ... (< 5.0 mg/dL)

ALSO

LIPOPROTEIN A ...17... (< 75 nMol/L)


[2]

I ALSO HAD

GOOD

COMPHRENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL VALUES

INCLUDING

ENZYME MARKERS

OF

 LIVER & KIDNEY STATUS


[3]

DENTAL HEALTH HAS IMPROVED DURING THE PAST YEAR

CURRENTLY 

HAVING

 CROWN PROCEDURES

 TO ADDRESS LOSS Of FILLING, CRACKED TOOTH


[4]

AMONG OTHER ISSUES

CARDIOLOGIST: ELECTRICAL, MECHANICAL UPDATES

IMPROVED SLEEP, NO GASTRIC REFLUX REMOVING CAFFEINE

DUPYPTEN'S CONTRACTURE STATUS

VITAMINS B12, D2

TESTOSTERONE LEVELS

HERNIA STATUS

&

MY BLOOD TYPE

TYPE O, Rh(D) NEGATIVE - RELATIVELY RARE

[I WOULD BE A GOOD BLOOD DONER]


YET

UNFORTUNATELY

DECADES OF POOR EATING HABITS HAVE DONE SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO MY CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM


TAKEAWAY

APPROACHES MOVING FORWARD

[1]

EATING FOODS 

TO

INCREASE 

NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHISIS


NITRIC OXIDE CAN INCREASE BLOOD FLOW.

NOTE

I HAVE BEEN CONSUMING MORE FOODS  CONTAINING 

NITRATES 

and

 AMINO ACIDS: L- arginine and L-citrulline

TO

PROMOTE

NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHESIS 


FOODS I EAT AMONG OTHERS

INCLUDE


LEAFY GREENS

 CABBAGE

BEETS

CELERY

SPLIT GREE PEAS

CHICKPEAS

LENTILS

16 BEAN MIX

VARIOUS DAIRY


[2]

I 
AM 
ALSO 
EATING

 MORE FOODS

WITH

FIBER

 (SOLUBLE, INSOLUBLE)

 AND 

RESISTENT STARCH

***
**

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS

bobcrowther66@gmail.com


BOB CROWTHER - NUTRITION - YOGA

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *